Learn How To Properly Care For Wrought Iron Fences
If you are a homeowner seeking to enhance the appearance of your property, while also increasing its safety and security levels, installing a customized wrought iron fence is the right choice. With well-planned wrought iron care, these features can be a durable, appealing and a long-lasting addition to your property.
Wrought Iron Maintenance and Cleaning Tips
When it comes to the maintenance of wrought iron fences, one of the biggest concerns property owners have is – how to avoid rust on iron fence. This material has a tendency to rust over time. But that typically happens when it hasn’t been cleaned regularly and maintained well. Here are some basic wrought iron care steps to follow:
Inspection- This is the first step, and you must inspect your wrought iron fence at least once each year. During this inspection, make a note of cracks, small blemishes, and other damage to avoid costly and unrequired repairs in the future.
- Regular Cleaning– It’s necessary to clean your wrought iron fence regularly. Warm soapy water does the trick, and all you need to do is give the fence a rinse and let it get air-dried.
- Remove Rust– Remove all the minor rust spots before they begin to penetrate the wrought iron. A small toothbrush or hard-bristled wire brush or sandpaper works well to clean all signs of rust that has just begun to build up.
How to Protect Your Wrought Iron Fence from Rust
The best way to ensure the longevity and durability of these features is to avoid rust on iron fence. Preventing the rust from building up is a better maintenance approach than fixing the problem after the installation starts rusting. These are some things you can do to protect the fence from rust:
- Trim all the vines and bushes near the fence. Keeping them away from the structure helps prevent small scratches and exposure to moisture.
- Add a wax coat to the fence.
- You can use anti-rust paint for the fence.
As you can see, there are many different things you can do to avoid rust on iron fence. Addressing this issue sooner than later and cleaning the fence on time will help ensure the structure stays in good condition for many years.
There are many different fence types, and each has a specific maintenance requirement. It’s a good idea to contact experts for more information on wrought iron care.