Maintaining your vinyl fence
Any piece of art deserves an awesome frame. The same goes for your garden. Last weekend you were probably reminded of how much dad -and the whole family- loves to spend hours on end out on the deck, backyard, and garden. That’s what summer weekends are all about, correct? It was a long tough winter and your fences need quite a bit of love. Or maybe you don’t have one yet but you’ve been dreaming of the perfect fence for your backyard?
Cleaning and repairing your vinyl boundary fence
Vinyl fences come in all colors, shapes and sizes and can perfectly complement and accentuate any urban home and garden. And the best part is that it is way more low maintenance than a wooden fence. However, with the recent snow, hail, frost, sun, frost, sun, hail, tornado weather that spring brought to Colorado, your vinyl fence may have gotten a few cracks here and there. Luckily, these cracks are easy to fix.
Materials needed for fixing cracks and holes in vinyl fences
- Expanding foam
- Plastic Body Filler
- Hand Saw
- Spray Paint
Steps to fixing cracks and holes in vinyl fences
- Clean the section of the fence where the crack is located and dry the area completely afterwards
- Use the sandpaper to smooth out and sharp edges around the crack or hole – do not use an electric sander
- Fill the crack or hole with your expanding foam. Fill it as much as you can. Do it slowly and allow the foam to expand as you go. Let the foam dry overnight
- Once the foam has completely dried, use the handsaw to remove excess foam. Use the sandpaper to completely smooth out the area around the hole and then sand paper to create a small inward dent in the foam. This will allow for the plastic filler to be applied. But first…
- Clean the fence again and dry completely
- Fill the hole with plastic filler and sandpaper it down so that it is completely flush with the fence
- Paint to match the fence
If your not into the whole “do it yourself”, then we’re sure you can find a friendly neighborhood fence supply store to help you with your installation and repairs.